If you’ve missed Punk on your timeline and newsfeed it’s time to crawl out from the rock you’ve been under. The Met Gala kicked off it’s latest exhibit tracing Punk’s influence on fashion from it’s inception in 1970 to today. With every top designer and celebrity in attendance you can expect to see Punk’s influence and inspiration stick around for months to come.
Punk by its very definition is a rebuttal of excess and pretension so we realize the irony in high-fashion’s commercialization and re-appropriation of the subculture-there are many ways to bring a touch of punk to your wardrobe this spring. Mix high and low, rock a DIY or vintage piece, go against the grain and make it your own.
While we don’t expect readers to adopt the full Punk lifestyle for spring, we’re here to provide you with a few ways to incorporate Punk into your look.
Update your wardrobe with wear-whenever essentials like quilted biker jackets, leather sleeved blazers, scoop neck tees and moto jeans. Patent shoes and luxe studded belts complete the look.
- Faux leather sleeved blazer (Zara)
- Leather biker jacket (Topman)
- Sleeveless Biker (Allsaints)
- Scoop neck tee (Zara)
- Balmain S/S 2013 (via men.style.com)
- Moto Cross Jeans (Rogue)
- Patent Shoes (Dr. Martens via Ssense)
- Studded Snakeskin belt (Pierre Balmain via Ssense)
- Suede Longwing shoes (Topman)
Make a street-style statement in graffiti print sweaters, Sex Pistol approved lightweight stripe sweaters and studded converse. DIY shirts were a huge part of the Punk movement and if a DIY isn’t in your skillset – Toronto based brand Friendly Wealth offers custom shirts and collaborations with local artists for shirts and tanks that are truly unique.
No street-style rebel is complete without a unique Jean jacket and shorts in traditional menswear fabrics.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs sweater (Holt Renfrew)
- Linen stripe knit (Allsaints)
- Custom Toronto Skyline T-shirt (Friendly Wealth)
- Linen Dress Shorts (Allsaints)
- Embellished Jean Jacket (Topman)
- Studded denim waistcoat (Zara)
- Studded Converse by John Varvatos (Ssense)
- Plaid Linen shorts (Club Monaco)
Tough Finishing Touches
Bring a tough luxe touch to everyday looks with studded accessories, razor blade prints and burnout tees. Layer summer-weight plaid shirts in cotton and linen with dark slim jeans for effortless cool.
- Studded wallet(Topman)
- Leather Safety pin charm bracelet by Dsquared (SSENSE)
- Razor blade print scarf bye Alexander Mcqueen (SSENSE)
- Franco Negretti Plaid shirt (Gotstyle)
- Allsaints total look ( Allsaints)
- Plaid Linen shirt (Club Monaco)
- Buckled steel toe shoes by Balmain (SSENSE)
- Ombre Burnout T-shirt (H&M)
- Cigarette Jeans (Allsaints)